ABBOTT, Aimee Greene
ALLYN, Jeremiah
APPLEBY, William W.
BENDER, William E.(not finished)
BLOOD, Frances B.
BRAYMAN, Lucinde E., Dr.
BUSS, Stephen B.
BUSS, William G.
CALDWELL, John Anson
CAREY, C. E., Prof.
CARLIN, Thomas J., Capt.
CASE, Ira F.
COSSITT, Duran S., Dr.
DAVIS, M. L. (982)
DARLING, Oliver C.
EMMETT, Henry H., Rev.

FELCH, George L.
FIFIELD, James M. (975)
FOLLETT, Nathaniel
FORD, James F.

GERMOND, Nathan A.
GODDARD, Charles R.
GROSS, Edward C.
GUN, Elijah
HARRIS, William S.
HASKELL, John Winship
HAY, Alexander
HENRY, George
HILLS, Edgar L.
HOFFMAN, William


JONES, Edwin E.
JUDD, John


KELLOGG, Paulina
KEYES, Henry, Gen.

MATHEWS, William M.
McCALL, John
McKELVEY, Henry C.

MERRIAM, Edward D., Dr.
MOORE, Phillip
MORRIS, William M.


OLMSTEAD, John, Lieut.
OSBORN, Olyman Clark
PEARCE, John Jamison
PELTON, Cushman W.
POOLE, Henry H.
POOLE, Calvin
POOLE, Henry H.
POST, R. O., D.D., Rev.
PUTNAM, Charles Sumner

REIG, John P.

SMITH, Royal
SMITH, Sagito Jay
SNYDER, Benjamin S.
SPENCER, Platt Rogers
STONE, Edward Augustin
  STONE, Laurel V.
TODD, William
TOWNSEND, Marquis D.

UPSON, Fred. W., Dr.

VIETS, Frank, Major
WEBSTER, Elizur M., Dr.
WESTCOTT, Charles F.
WOODBURY, Hamilton B., Judge
WOODWORTH, James P., Capt.
WRIGHT, Marshall Williams




for CONNEAUT & Surrounding Areas,



William W. Appleby, a real estate dealer of Conneaut, Ohio, and one of the prominent business men of the town, is descended from early settlers of this place.  Following is a brief sketch of his life, and also that of his father and of his uncle, Captain Calvin W. and Gilman Appleby:

W. W. Appleby was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio on December 14, 1839, son of Capt. Calvin W. and Mary (Brown) Appleby.  His father was born in Bethlehem, New Hampshire on August 17, 1808 and lived to be seventy-two years of age, dying August 6, 1880, at Conneaut, Ohio.  His mother, a native of Windsor, Lower Canada, was born on November 10, 1811, and died on April 16, 1872, at the same place.  This worthy couple had several children, only two of whom lived to adult years, and of those two W. W. is the older.  He was educated in the Conneaut Academy, and before he engaged in the real estate business he was employed as a bookkeeper and salesman.

Mr. Appleby was married in Detroit Michigan, in 1872, to Miss Ida J. Wiles, daughter of Francis R. Wiles.  Her father died in Detroit, of cholera, in 1854, when she was only two years old.  Mr. and Mrs. Appleby have four children:  Calvin W., Frederick W., Walter R., and Fannie.  Mrs. Appleby is a member of the Episcopal Church, and is a lady of much culture and refinement.  Politically, Mr. Appleby affiliates with the Republican party.  He has served as a member of the City Council for four years.

Captain Calvin W. Appleby, and his older brother, Captain Gilman Appleby, were for many years prominent steamboat men on the great lakes.  They came to Conneaut at an early age with their stepfather, Major Samuel Blakeslee, and family, and were among the first settlers of the place.  Major Blakeslee was a well-known resident of Conneaut for many years, and at last died from the infirmities of extreme age.  He was at one time Worshipful Master of the Masonic lodge of Conneaut.  He had two sons and three daughters, namely:  Orville, a resident of Geneva Lake, Wisconsin; Chauncey of Chicago, Illinois; Harriet, wife of Frank Nettleton, of Kingsville; Eliza, wife of James H. Lake of Fredonia, New York; and Aurelia, wife of C. F. Levitt  of Conneaut.

Captain Calvin W. Appleby's first experience as boatman was on the Lady of the Lake.  He afterward ran on the packet J. G. King, the brig. Lucy A. Blossom, and the steamers Indiana and Sultana.  The whole of his active life was spent on the lakes, and for many years he was one of the most popular commanders running between Buffalo and Chicago.  He was an intimate friend of Benjamin Wade and Joshua Giddings.  Mr. Wade was his attorney in one of the first suits the Captain ever had, the litigation concerning Conneaut harbor.  This suit was with the Fords and Captain Appleby and the defendant.

Captain Gilman Appleby, also a native of Bethlehem, New Hampshire, was born on August 29, 1806.  He built and commanded both the Sultana and the ill-fated Lady Elgin.  He also commanded the North America and the Constitution.  After he built and took command of the Lady Elgin, his brother became captain of the Sultana.  This vessel was described as the "Buffalo and Chicago steam packet Sultana," and was used chiefly in carrying passengers.  The gangway to the Sultana (like the gates to the upper sanctuary) was open night and day for the reception of the able sons of Ham, and the disembarking, too, if occasion required it, to insure the safety of such passengers on "the underground steamboat railway,"  Captain Calvin himself being the captain conductor.  Many were the negroes carried safely over, and the Sultana could have carried as many more had opportunity offered.  The kind and large-hearted Captain was a man of wonderful expedients in providing ways and means to lend a helping hand to every one who was in trouble.  Gilman Appleby was commander of the famous Caroline at the time she was captured by the enemy on December 20, 1837.  The fate of this vessel - how she was set on fire and allowed to drift over Niagara - is familiar to all readers of history.  The captain and crew escaped.

These brothers, Gilman and Calvin, were both self-made men, beginning their careers on small vessels and working and wining their way to promotion and the high positions they occupied.  Many were the times they distinguished themselves for their bravery.  Indeed, they were ready for every emergency.  In all their long experience they never lost a life nor did they ever have an accident.  Gilman was at one time commanding the North America on Lake Erie, and when near Dunkirk, New York, the vessel was caught in a heavy storm and was in danger of being dashed against the beach.  The Captain knew this would be certain death to all on board.  All the steam the vessel was allowed to carry was applied.  Still she was in danger.  Only one thing could save her.  Apply more steam.  But would the strength of her boiler admit this?  Taking the benefit of the doubt, and against the best judgment of the engineer, he held down the safety valve with his own weight, and more steam applied, and thus withstood the storm, landing his passengers safe in port.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

City Cemetery, Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Ohio for burials.

Royal P. Smith, one of the wealthy farmers of Monroe Township, Ashtabula county, Ohio, appears as the subject of this article.

He was born in 1840, near his present home, son of Isaac Smith, a native of Vermont.  Isaac Smith emigrated from Vermont to Ohio in 1832, and settled at Kelloggsville, where he farmed and carried on a mercantile business for half a century.  Although he had but limited educational advantages in his youth, he was a man of remarkable energy and business ability, and was successful in his various undertakings.  He began working out for wages when he was twelve years old, and until he was twenty-one his mother, a widow, received his earnings.  When he landed in Kelloggsville, he bought 106 acres of land, and at the time of his death he was the owner of 640 acres and had money at interest.  Politically, he was a Democrat, and took a commendable interest in public affairs, frequently filling local offices.  For sixty years he was an honored member of the Masonic fraternity.  He died on May 12, 1883, at the age of eighty-four years.  At the time of his death, he was a Universalist in belief.  The Smiths are of English origin, some of the family having come to America previous to the war of 1812.  The mother of Royal P. Smith, who before her marriage was Miss Lucia Thompson, was born in New Hampshire, about twelve miles from Dartmouth College.  She had a good education, and was for some time engaged in teaching.  Her death at the age of seventy-six years occurred on April 24, 1881.  The Thompsons are of English descent.  Isaac Smith and his wife had five children, as follows:  Isaac, who died on January 28, 1854, aged twenty-one years; Susan J., wife of G. G. White, of Hutchinson, Kansas; Royal P.; Irving, a resident of Monroe township, Ashtabula county; and Lucia, who died on November 26, 1852, at the age of five years.  Isaac Smith was first married to Harriet Walker, who died without children.

Royal P. Smith remained with his parents until 1861, when he married and began life for himself.  He is now the owner of 450 acres of land, in three different tracts, 200 acres being under cultivation.  In 1861 he was married to Corinna E. Swift, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Dan and Mercy (Doubleday) Swift, natives of Italy Hill, Yates county, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith have four children, namely: Charles, engaged in farming near Kingsville; Carrie M., wife of George Humphrey of Cleveland, Ohio; Harriet, a student at Buchtel College, in Akron, Ohio; and Corinna, also attending college.

Mr. Smith's political views are in harmony with Democratic principals.  For six or seven years he has served as Trustee of his township.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the State Police.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
(See 1870 Census Monroe Twp., Ohio)

Captain Thomas J. Carlin, Justice of the Peace and Notary Public, Conneaut, Ohio, dates his birth at Chautauqua, New York, January 12, 1816.

His parents, James and Mary (Smith) Carlin, were born, reared and married in Ireland, and in 1814 came to the United States and settled in Westfield, New York.  James Carlin was a brick mason, which occupation he followed all his life.  He was an honest and straightforward business man and in him were the truest and purest types of religion united.  He died in September, 1826, about the age of fifty years.  Both he and his wife were Presbyterians.  Later in life, however, Mrs. Carlin united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which she died a consistent member, at the age of seventy-seven years, her death occurring about 1874.  During the latter part of her life she made her home with the subject of this sketch, and her last resting place is at Conneaut.  This worthy couple were the parents of three daughters and four sons, only two of whom, Captain James Carlin and the subject of this article, are living.

Thomas J. received his education in the public schools and the Westfield Academy.  His first business was that of making brick at Westfield.  He also followed the same occupation at Conneaut in an early day, having made this place his home since 1838.

Early in 1861, although forty-six years of age and not in reach of the draft, being too old, he enlisted in the service of his country; raised and took into the service the Second Ohio Four-gun Battery, General Fremont subsequently adding two twelve-pound howitzers to their force.  Mr. Carlin was made Captain of the battery and served as such until his health failed in 1862, when he resigned.  He served in western Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi.  He was then appointed assistant enrolling officer, under Governor Tod, for the Nineteenth Congressional District, and served in that capacity until the close of the war.  The battery was in the first battle of Pea Ridge, later at Black River bridge, at Raymond, Mississippi, and also at Vicksburg.  On one occasion the Captain, with twenty-non-commissioned officers, was detailed to capture a ton of reel powder near Warsaw, Missouri.  He accomplished the task, delivering the ammunition over to the United States Arsenal in October, 1861.  While out on this raid his horse shied at a large rock which was on a dug-out road, thereby causing Captain Carlin to strain his back.  An hour later he was compelled to dismount, and from the effects of this strain he has been troubled ever since.  At the time he enlisted in the army two of his sons, Orson A. and James M. also entered the service, leaving the mother and two daughters alone.

Captain Carlin had been a Postmaster at Conneaut for eight years previous to his enlistment, and at the close of the war he was elected Justice of the Peace, holding the office by re-election up to the present time.

He served as Mayor of Conneaut three terms, not in succession, however.  In the educational affairs of the town he has been an important factor.  He served continuously for twenty-one years on the Board of Education, his associates retaining him even while in the war.  With fraternal organizations he has also taken an active part.  He organized the first lodge of Good Templars in Conneaut and was its first Worthy Chief, which office he held for two years.  He has taken a prominent part in all temperance work of the town ever since and has ever been an ardent Prohibitionist.  He is the oldest member of Evergreen Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of which he served four years as Worshipful Master.  At the breaking out of the war he was Senior Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, and was in a fair way for promotion at that time.  He took part in the unveiling of the Perry monument at Cleveland Ohio.  He signed for a carter for a lodge of I. O. O. F. nearly fifty years ago; remained with the organization, was its Noble Grand for several terms, and had a working place in it until it surrendered its charter.  His name is the first on a petition for a charter for Custer Post, No. 9, G.A.R., and it is he who had the honor of naming the post in Conneaut.  He is a United States pensioner.

Captain Carlin was married November 22, 1838, at Conneaut, Ohio, to Miss Mary Ann Dibble, daughter of Ezra Dibble, a soldier in the war of 1812, the marriage ceremony being performed by S. F. Taylor, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Huron county.  After fifty years of happy married life they made arrangements to celebrate their golden wedding, but Mrs. Carlin's health would not permit them to carry out their plans.  She died June 22, 1889, aged seventy-two years.  From her girlhood she was a member of the Conneaut Congregational Church.  Her life as far as health would permit, was one of activity.  It was an inspiration to gentleness, patience, faith and courage:  these virtues in her were luminous, and never more so than in her last protracted illness.  She was a woman of rare intelligence and Christian character, and all who knew her cherished her memory with grateful affection.

The Captain and his wife had for children, of whom we make the following record:  Orison A., who married Miss Allie Loomis, is agent for the Adams Express Company at Greenville, Pennsylvania; Ellen J., wife of J. C. Kuchler, agent for the Erie & Pittsburg Railroad Company at Greenville, Pennsylvania, died January 17, 1893 in the fifty-third year of her age.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church for many years, and was the mother of an only child, Miss Carlin.  James M., who married Miss Doty Crane, died in September, 1889, aged forty-two; and Artimisia Blanche is the wife of G. W. Bigelow, of Conneaut.  Mr. & Mrs. Bigelow have four children, as follows:  Mamie C., who has been a successful teacher in the Conneaut public schools since her graduation in 1889;  Brownell, a graduate of the Conneaut high school with the class of 1893; Helen K.; and Orsie Carlin.

Captain Carlin is the oldest member of the Conneaut Congregational Church, having been a member for more than forty years.  During his official career he has had an enviable reputation as a brave and efficient public officer.  In church, with eye bedimmed and enfeebled voice, he still remains a working member as in former years.  On all questions of moral reform he has always been, and still is, at the front, laboring for the true and good.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

For reference:  See 1860 Census, Borough of Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Oh
Also See 1870 Census, Borough of Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Oh

Elisha Farnham, deceased, was of Puritan origin.  His father and grandfather participated in the Revolutionary struggle, and he inherited the same spirit of loyalty.  He was born in Hapton, Connecticut on June 8, 1806, and was the sixth in a family of ten children.  His parents, Thomas and Abigail Farnham, were by no means wealthy, and his advantages for schooling were limited, yet he acquired a good common-school education.   Being the eldest son, he was at an early age obliged to rely on his own resources, and a portion of his wages were also contributed to the support of his father's family.  He learned the machinist's trade and was a skillful workman.  In the fall of 1830 Mr. Farnham packed his worldly effects in a knapsack and came to Conneaut, Ohio, locating on land still occupied by his heirs.  In 1841 he erected the gristmill on the south ridge, still in operation, and at present owned by his son.  With good health, strict adherence to his business and a Connecticut birthright combined, he accumulated a competence.  His death occurred October 4, 1875 at age 69 years and 1 month.  He is buried in Farnham Cemetery south of Conneaut on old Center Road.

Mr. Farnham was twice married, first to Mary A. Ring, of Conneaut, Ohio, November 14, 1833.  She died August 11, 1849.  She is buried in Farnham Cemetery.  On January 30, 1850, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Harriet A. Sanborn, who is still living.  The children, who were all born from the first marriage, are as follows:  D. Alphonso, born June 5, 1835, married Sophia Brooks, was a soldier in the Union army during the Rebellion and died in the service.  He died January 22, 1862 and was buried in Farnham Cemetery; Flora, born June 12, 1837, is the wife of the popular Sheriff, T. S. Young; P. Henry, born November 14, 1838, married Mary Mallory and lives in Conneaut; Mary, born February 27, 1841, married Martin Reals; Lydia E., born Mary 30, 1843, married C. L. Fuller, who was drowned in Lake Erie; and Emily, born September 21, 1847, married William G. Buss.  Mr. Farnham held many positions of trust, and was for many years a township officer.  He was not only a worthy citizen, but an obliging neighbor and an intelligent husband and father.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

See Farnham Cemetery Index of burials


William G. Buss, a carpenter by trade and a highly esteemed citizen of Conneaut, Ashtabula County, Ohio, was born in Canada, and dates the day of his nativity back to June 2, 1838.  He first arrived in Conneaut when he was six weeks old, his parents having located here at that time.

Mr. Buss is a son of Alford and Jane (Kilbourn) Buss, who were born, reared and married in Vermont.  Alford Buss was a tanner and currier by trade.  He carried on business at Conneaut from 1854 until 1859, when he moved to Tennessee.  In Tennessee business at Conneaut form 1865 until 1859, when he moved to Tennessee.  In Tennessee, he was engaged in the boot and shoe business until the spring of 1863, when, with his property burned by the rebels and his life threatened by them, and for no other reason than that he was a Union man, he was obliged to seek a home elsewhere.

Just before he left a friend of his, a Union Man, was found suspended by the neck and dead, Mr. Buss had warning that unless he left within twenty-four hours he would share the fate of his friend.  General Buell made his headquarters on Mr. Buss's premises while in that vicinity.  Coming north with his family -- wife and one son -- Mr. Buss located in New Albany, Indiana.  Eight months he went to Galena, same State, where he spent the rest of his life, engaged in the boot and shoe trade.  He was born in 1809 and lived to be seventy-six years old.  His wife also born in 1809 died in 1866.  Their family was composed of six children, as follows:  (9) Loring, who was accidentally drowned in Conneaut Creek in 1842 at the age of six years; William G., the subject of this sketch; Henry who came home from the army during the war with health impaired, and died two weeks later at the age of twenty-two; Alfred, who was in the same battery with his brother Henry -- the Section Ohio -- was discharged on account of disability in 1863, but recovered, and several years afterward died of heart disease;  George, who enlisted in a Kentucky regiment in 1864 and served until the end of the war, is now a resident of Galena, Indiana; and Hattie, widow of Burr Emerson, is a resident of Crothersville, Indiana.

William G. Buss first launched out in business for himself in a sawmill at Port Burwell, Canada. When the war broke out he came to the United States and enlisted at Ashtabula, Ohio, April 27, 1861, in Company I, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the three months service.  He was discharged August 30, 1861, and on the 16th of the following month enlisted in Germany E., Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a Sergeant.  He veternized December 21, 1863 at Wauchatchie, Tennessee; was mustered out of the service at Louisville, Kentucky, July 13, 1865.  Among the engagements he took part in were those of Winchester, Port Republic, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Look-out Mountain.  He was with Sherman on that famous march "Atlanta to the sea," thence up through the Carolinas to Richmond and on to Washington, taking part in the grand review.

William G. Buss first launched out in business for himself in a sawmill at Fort Burwell, Canada.  When the war broke out he came to the United States and enlisted in Ashtabula, Ohio, April 27, 1861, in the Company I, Ohio Volunteer Infantry,  in the three months service.  He was discharged August 30, 1861, and on the 16th following month enlisted in Company E., Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a Sergeant.  He veteranized December 21, 1863, at Wauhatchie, Tennessee; was mustered out of the service at Louisville, Kentucky, December 21, 1863, at Wauhatchie, Tennessee, was mustered out of the services at Louisville, Kentucky, July 13, 1865.  Among the engagements he took part in were those of Winchester, Fort Repubic, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Look-out Mountain.  He was with Sherman on that famous march "Atlanta to the sea," thence up through the Carolinas to Richmond and on to Washington, taking part in the grand review.

The war over Mr. Buss went to Saginaw, Michigan, as a lumber inspector, and remained there until 1876.  He has since been a resident of Conneaut, engaged in work at the carpenters trade.

Mr. Buss was married March 28, 1867 to Miss Emma Farnham, a native of Conneaut and a daughter of (7) Elisha and Mary (Ring) Farnham.  Elisha Farnham was born in Connecticut June 8, 1806, the sixth in the family of ten children of Thomas Farnham.  Thomas Farnham and his father were soldiers in the Revolutionary war.  At the age of twenty-five Elisha Farnham came West to Ohio and settled in Ashtabula county on lands that he occupied up the time of his death.  He owned and operated a gristmill and sawmill, located four miles from Conneaut.  He was married in Conneaut.  He died October 4, 1875, aged sixty-nine years, his wife having passed away in 1849, aged thirty-two.  Mrs. Buss was two years old when her mother died, and was the youngest of the family, which was composed of (6) six children, the others being as follows:  Don Alphonzo, who served in the Second Ohio Battery two years, came from the army and died soon afterward of hasty consumption; (1) (2) Flora, wife of T. S. Young, of South Ridge, this county; (4) Patrick Henry, a Wisconsin farmer; Mary, wife of Steven Havelin, of South Ridge;  Lydia E., widow of Cornell Fuller, is a resident of Conneaut.

Mr. and Mrs. Buss have five children, viz,:  Henry, Jennie, Don Alfred, Lee Ring, and Anna Emily(3) Henry married Minnie Tinker and lives in Conneaut.  The other children are members of the home circle.

Mr. Buss belongs to the G. A. R., and his wife is a charter member of the W. R. C. at Conneaut, of which organization she was the first vice-president.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

L. I. Baldwin, a venerable citizen of Conneaut, for several years engaged in milling, now retired from active business, dates his birth in Oneida county, New York, October 26, 1811.  The facts in regards to his life and ancestry have been gleaned and are herewith presented.

The Baldwins trace their ancestry back to Nathaniel Baldwin, of England, whose son, Samuel, was the father of Nathaniel Baldwin, the great-great-grandson of the subject of our sketch.  Nathaniel Baldwin and his wife, nee Abigail Camp, came from England to America and settled in Milford, Connecticut, in 1639.  He was born in Bucks county, England, and died in Connecticut in 1658.  His wife died March 22, 1648.  At the time they came to America his brothers, Timothy, Joseph, John, and Richard also came.  Nathaniel and Abigail Baldwin had seven children:  John, Daniel, Nathaniel, Abigail, Samuel, Sarah, and Deborah.  Samuel, the fifth, was born November 28, 1744, and died February 22, 1804.  His wife, who before her marriage was Mercy Stanley, died January 6, 1768.  They had a family of six sons and five daughters, one of whom, Enos Stanley Baldwin, married Charlotte Bailey, and had four sons and four daughters.  Enos S. died October 20, 1828, and his wife died February 26, 1815.  One of their four sons, Remus, the father of L. I., was born in Milford, October 5, 1791, and his wife, whose maiden name was Julia Ives, was born December 20, 1787, she, too, being a native of Connecticut.

Remus Baldwin moved to New York and subsequently to Pennsylvania, in Erie, in the latter State, spending the closing days of his life.  He and his wife were engaged in farming and afterwards in various occupations.  He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church for many years, he being an officer in the Church.  They were married September 9, 1810.  Their family of five children is as follows:  L. I.; Almira C., wife of David Brand, is deceased, as also is her husband; Samuel, who married Abigail Snow, is deceased; Horace and his wife, Nancy A. (Welton), are both deceased; and Caleb Parker, unmarried, died on the Pacific ocean, July 29, 1852, while on his way to California, the supposed cause of his death being cholera.  The father of this family died in Erie, Pennsylvania, December 9, 1853; the mother at the same place, February 10, 1873.

L. I. Baldwin removed with his parents from Oneida to Genesee county, New York and in 1820 to Cattaraugus county, same State, whence they afterward removed to Erie county, Pennsylvania.  He remained on the farm with his father until after they went to Erie county, when he located at Erie for the purpose of learning a trade, that of woolen manufacturer.  After remaining there six years, he went back to the farm.  For many years he farmed in Erie county.  In the spring of 1872 he located in Conneaut, and here for four years he ran a gristmill.  He served as Justice of the peace of Conneaut three years, having filled the same office while a resident of Elk Creek and Girard, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Baldwin was married August 10, 1837, to Miss Rosanna Battles, daughter of Asa and Elizabeth (Brown) Battles.  Her father was born in Massachusetts, April 10, 1786, and her mother in Vermont, May 9, 1787.  The former died in 1848, and the latter in 1868.  In the Battles family were six children, as follows:  (2) Rosina, oldest, born June 27, 1815; George, a resident of California; Alsina, of Girard, Pennsylvania; Lucina, also of Girard; Asa, deceased; and Rush, a banker, manufacturer and farmer of Girard.

Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have had twelve children, namely:  Byron A., a real-estate dealer of Chicago, is married and has two children; Julia, wife of James A. Moorehead, Erie county, Pennsylvania, has six children; Narcissa, wife of J. C. Denslow, died at the age of twenty years; Remus Asa, who married Adaline Foot and has seven children, was in the war two years, and the past twenty-seven years has been in the employ of the Pittsburg & Cleveland Railroad, being now a resident of Cleveland; Georgia A., wife of Morton H. Gould, of Arizonia, has seven children; Gorbam Ives, an engineer, was killed in a railroad wreck in 1882, and left a widow and three children; (4) Florence E., who died at the age of thirty-six years; Rush Emerson died at St. Louis at the age of twenty-one years; Lucene, wife of C. R. Goddard, of Conneaut, has four children; Leslie, who died at the age of twenty-six years; (2) Kent Kane, married and living in Chicago, has three children; Elmer E., of Conneaut, is married and has one child.  There are forty grandchildren to the family and five great-grandchildren.  Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage August 10, 1887.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

1) See Death Register
(2) See City Cemetery
(3) See City Cemetery
(4) See City Cemetery

H. N. Havens, a member of the firm of Wright & Havens, proprietors of a planing mill and contractors and builders, Conneaut, Ohio, is one of the substantial and highly esteemed citizens of this place. 

H. N. Havens was born in Chautauqua county, New York, July 13, 1846, son of Nelson and Eliza (Ashley) Havens.  His parents were born, reared and married in New York, and his father was a well-to-do farmer of that State, living an active and useful life and dying in 1866, aged fifty-eight years.  He took an active interest in the educational affairs, and served as School Trustee for many years; religiously, was an Universalist; politically, a Republican.  He was connected with the Underground Railroad.  He believed in a vigorous prosecution of the war and was deeply interested in the success of the Union forces.  Few men in his vicinity had more friends than he.  His good wife, who shared in his religious belief and who was a member of the same church, passed away in 1849.  The subject of this sketch is the youngest of their eight children, four of whom are still living.

In early life, Mr. H. H. Havens learned the trade of shoemaker and worked at that trade for five years.  Then he began working at the carpenter's trade and has since been emgaged in contracting and building.  He is a natural mechanic.  Since 1888 he has been identified with the firm of Wright & Havens, which firm has from the beginning done a most successful business, their business amounting the past year to about $50,000.

Mr. Havens was married September 3, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Loucks, daughter of John R. and Eunice Loucks, both of whom are deceased.  Mrs. Haven was a devoted wife and loving mother and was a member of the Christian Church.  Her untimely death occured in 1874, at the age of twenty-six years.  She left two children, Eunice and Ralph B.  The former died at the age of eleven years.  Ralph B. is an expert wood turner, probably not having a superior in the State, and he is in the employ of the Glenville Standard Manufacturing Company.  He married Miss Kate Woodbury, daughter of T. W. Woodbury, of Conneaut, and has one child, Nelson.  After the death of his mother, Ralph B. Spent six years in the Wade family at Andover, this county, Mr. Wade being a brother of Mrs. Colfax, wife of the vice president.  He was educated in the schools of that place and while he was there the Colfax family visited Mr. Wade and one of the Colfax boys and Ralph became fast friends.

The subject of this sketch, like his father, affiliates with the Republican party.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

Major Frank Viets - No more worthy representative of an old and honored Ohio family is to be found than the subject of this sketch, to whose services in defense of his country is added a long life of usefulness and activity in peaceful affairs, calculated to upbuild and beautify that land which he helped to save to liberty and right.

The founder of the family in America was the great grandfather of the subject of this sketch, who came from Germany and settled in Vermont in an early day, and it is very probable that he spelled his name "Vietz," instead of the manner employed by his descendants.  His son, Jesse Viets, was born in Green Mountain State in 1785, and was a farmer and pioneer Methodist minister.  When about thirty-two years of age, he concluded to try his fortunes west of the Allegany mountains, and accordingly turned his steps toward Ohio, then a new and slightly settled country.  He made his way overland by the slow and tedious means of an ox team, consuming as many weeks in the undertaking as it now takes day to cover the same distance.  Finally arriving in Ohio, he settled in Amboy, where he passed the remainder of his days, when not traveling on his ministerial missions.  These latter usually took him along the shore of Lake Erie, from Buffalo probably as far as Cleveland, and the greater number of Methodist congregations in that part of the country were organized by him.  He was exceedingly enthusiastic in his work and more widely known than any other man in the same district.  Highly intellectual, probably, possessed of an splendid education, a fluent speaker, of unexampled energy and perseverance, combined with great personal magnetism, he was well calculated to wage war against the powers of darkness, and used his talents to great effect.  The great and good man died in Amboy about 1848, his loss carrying widespread sorrow to many hearts and homes, where he was universally beloved and revered.  His six children were as follows:  Rodney, born in 1807; Dolly Ann, married Horatio Lovejoy, and they both died in Conneaut; Roland died; Mary Ann, became the wife of Henry Benson, and both died in Conneaut; Lucinda married John Watson, and both died in Iowa.

Rodney Viets, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Vermont, and accompanied by his parents to Ashtabula county, Ohio, in 1817, and it was ever afterward his home.  He received a good education under the able guidance of his illustrious father, and when a young man was engaged for a time in teaching.  This he continued at the age of twenty-four to enter the ministry of the Disciple Church, preaching his first sermon in Ashtabula county, probably at Amboy.  He inherited his father's genius and indomitable spirit for good, and would often ride long distances and encounter the fiercest weather to comfort those needing spiritual aid.  He never held a regular appointment, but worked wherever he could do the most good.  He was married, in Ashtabula county, to Lucinda Wood, a woman of rare force of intellect and sweetness of character, the youngest in a large family of children of a prominent pioneer of this county.  Her father is now buried in Amboy, of which city he was an early settler.  They had ten children:  Rodney, who died when young; one died in infancy; Amandona, deceased, was the wife of H. A. Walton, of Saybrook; Byron is a farmer of Geauga county; Melissa A., is the wife of D. H. Gaylord, of Geneva; Frank is the subject of this sketch; Mary, married, is now deceased; Henry Warren; Celestia, wife of C. E. Cooper, resides in North Dakota; and Durell, whereabouts unknown.  The family were called upon the mourn the loss of the father in 1887, who died at a ripe old age, greatly lamented by all who knew him.  No one in this vicinity, unless it was his father, ever did more to strengthen and advance the moral welfare of the community than he, and he richly deserves the high regard in which he is universally held.

Major Frank Viets, whose name heads this brief biography, was born in Saybrook, Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 12, 1839, and received his education in the common schools of that city.  He resided at home until his majority, being employed on the farm in the lumber camp.  At the end of this time, the Civil war broke out and he hastened with all the ardor of youthful patriotism to tender his services to his country.  He enlisted for four months in Company F, of the State militia, which was a part of the Ohio Volunteer Artillery.  This company was at once ordered to the front and fired the first gun at the battle of Philippi, in West Virginia.  The battles of Laurel Hill and Carrick's Ford were fought before the expiration of the first term of enlistment.  The company was afterward ordered to Camp Chase, and there underwent two musters in and out of the Federal service in one day.  Major Viets then returned home and assisted in raising and organizing Battery C, in which he was commissioned Second Lieutenant, by Governor Tod.  This company was then ordered in Camp Dennison near Cincinnati, Ohio, and on September 9, 1861, they were mustered into the three years' service.  Kentucky was the scene of immediate action and the battle of Wild Cat was the first battle, which was followed by that at Mill Springs, where Major Viets was within reach of the rebel general, Zollicoffer, when that officer was killed.  Thence the command of Major Viets went to Fort Donelson, whence they proceeded to Nashville and Pittsburg Landing, and subsequently participated in the siege of Corinth.  Here the Confederate forces, under General Bragg, got behind the Federal troops and drove the latter back across Kentucky, engaging them in battle at Perryville, in October, 1862.  The confederates, however, were repulsed, and were forced to retire into the Confederacy, whither Major Viets' command followed them to near Nashville, Tennessee.  The Major's command then swung off after General Morgan, whom they met at Hartwell's Ferry, and again at Rolling Fork river, at which latter point the Union forces defeated the Confederate troops, whom the Federals followed out of the State to Nashville and La Verge.  At the latter point, owing to an injury received by Major Viets some time previously, he resigned his commission of First Lieutenant and returned home, having been in the service just two years. 

He then secured a sub-contract in the construction of the Jamestown & Franklin Railroad, which, from the standpoint of finances, was disastrous to every contractor on the work.  This adverse turn in the Major's fortunes caused him to look to the West, as the place best calculated to enable him to retrieve his finances, and he accordingly established himself, in 1868 in Kansas City, Missouri, where he entered the commission business, dealing with the commissary of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, then being built.  As the road extended from point to point beyond Kansas City, the Major removed his business to each succeeding headquarters as far as Denver.  At this time, the Major's attention was attracted to the Red River country in Dakota, by the building of the Northern Pacific railroad, which he decided was a country of wonderful resources, with a brilliant future before it.  He was so favorably impressed with its prospects that, in the fall of 1870, he removed his family to the Red River valley, 200 miles in advance of any railroad, and established himself in Grand Forks.  Here he engaged in the real estate business, in merchandising and milling and various other profitable ventures, as time and the development of the city warranted.  He was half-owner of the town site, and was exceedingly active in all financial enterprises.  Mrs. Viets was the first white woman in the village, and it was not until the following fall that another white woman put in an appearance.  After thirteen years of frontier life, becoming weary of incessant activity, the Major determined to return to Ohio and provide himself with a good home, in which to pass his declining days, still, however, retaining his extensive interests in Grand Forks, which city he visits annually.  Here, in Ohio, the Major owns a large and well improved farm near Ashtabula, where he means accumulated by the toil of former years.  Besides his other enterprises, he is largely interested in the Ashtabula Driving Park Association, and is a stockholder in the London Company, of Ashtabula, in which he is also president.  In fact, having been a man of activity for so many years, the Major finds it difficult to keep his determination of eschewing all business pursuits.

On November 30, 1865, Major Viets was married to Miss Nancy L. Dow, a lady of sterling qualities of mind and heart, who is a daughter of John Dow, a well-known pioneer of this county, who married, a Miss Butterfield, also a representative of an old and respected family.  Major and Mrs. Viets have but one child, Gertrude, born March 5, 1866, who was educated in Faribault, Minnesota, and married M. S. Titus, now a banker at Minto, North Dakota.  Their marriage occurred in July, 1887, and they have two children:  Annie, aged four years; and Frances, aged eighteen months.

Politically, Major Viets adheres to the principles of the Republican party, but has not served officially except as Commissioner of his county in Dakota and as Councilman of Grand Forks, although his financial Training and upright character, combined with rare executive ability, amply fit him for the creditable discharge of any important public duties.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

Sagito Jay Smith, Mayor of Conneaut, Ohio has been identified with that place for many years and has probably done more to advance its interests than any other man.  It is therefore fitting that appropriate mention of him should grace the pages of this work.

Sagito J. Smith was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, Aug. 23, 1834, son of Plin and Aurelia (Weeks) Smith, natives of Sheldon, Vermont.  His parents came to Ashtabula county, Ohio, in 1829, and established their home in a log house in Andover.  The music of howling wolves was frequently heard from their cabin door.  Plin Smith was a wagon maker by trade.  Soon after moving out here he cut down an acre of trees on the farm of Roger Cadwell to pay for having his boots half soled.  The subject of our sketch was the third born in his family of eleven children, and is one of the seven who are still living. 

John Smith, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in New London, Connecticut and died in 1816.  His maternal grandfather, John Weeks, was of English ancestry, and died when he was thirty-one years.  He had a family of five children:  Philo, Jedediah, Eliza, Ann and Aurelia.  Jedediah died when about fourteen years of age.  Plin and Aurelia Smith were the parents of eleven children:  Philo, Josett, Sagito, Delia, Mary, John H., Aurelia, Amelia, Eliza, Plin W. and Lizzie H.  Mrs. Smith died April 21, 1893 at the age of eighty-three years and was bright and active up to the time of her death.  Plin Smith was an old friend of Benjamin Wade, and in the early days they were much together.

Mr. S. J. Smith received of this county at at Kingsville Academy, and for two years taught in the country schools, "boarding around."  In 1854 he came to Conneaut and entered upon a mercantile carrier as clerk in the store of D. N. Webster, at $6.00 per month.  A few months later he entered the employ of Thompson & Rice, at an increase of $.00 per month on his salary, and remained with that firm five years.  At the end of that time he formed a partnership with E. A. Keyes and opened out in business at the old Keyes stand at the foot of Main street.  A year and a half later, in 1860, he sold out to Mr. Keyes.  They he engaged in the general merchandise business by himself at the stand where he first began clerking.  With $350 in his pocket he set out for New York to buy goods, on the day Fort Sumter was fired upon.  At the house of Butler, Cecil, Ross & Co., in that city, his honest face and straightforward manner ingratiated him at once.  Mr. Cecil, the financier of the firm, after a short interview with him, remarked:  "Young man, you have a small capital with which to start in business, but you look to me like a young man of energy and honesty and one who would succeed in business.  Buy all the goods you want."  And during his long business career he bought more goods from that house than any other.  He made many visits to New York during the exciting times of the war, and did a successful business until the fall of Vicksburg, in July, 1863.  For five years after that date he barely held his own.  He continued in the general merchandise business here until 1887, and at various times had interests in branch stores elsewhere.  He still has some mercantile interests in the county, being a member of the firm of E. T. Dorman & Co., and also of the Andover firm, Smith & Baker.

In the meantime he merged into manufacturing, buying the Conneaut paper mill at the foot of Main street in 1872.  After conducting the mill for some time he discovered that it could be run on a more paying basis.  Accordingly he put in new machinery and made a specialty of the manufacturing of paper flour sacks, completing and printing the sacks and selling them direct to millers.  He put in six printing presses and employed a large force of hands.  In this enterprise he was very successful and continued to do a paying business until one night in December, 1889, when the mill, while in operation, was burned.

During this time Mr. Smith formed a partnership with Thayer & Lake, the firm name being Lake, Thayer & Smith, and in 1880 they began a private banking business, Mr. Lake being president.  After the death of Mr. Lake the bank was reorganized into a National bank, and Mr. Smith has since been its president.  In 1885, when the American Bag Company was organized, with Senator R. Kell of New York as president, Mr. Smith was chosen as one of the directors, he holding a large portion of the stock.

Besides the business affairs already referred to, Mr. Smith has also been interested in real estate transactions.  He purchased several tracts of land in this vicinity about the time the Nickel Plat division was located here, in the establishment of which road he took an active part, making frequent trips to New York in the interest of the line.  In 1880 he purchased the Herald, which he conducted for ten years, when, by reason of the destruction of his plant by fire, he joined with the Reporter, securing an interest in that office, from which both papers have since been issued - the Herald on Friday and the Reporter on Tuesday.

Mr. Smith was elected, on the Republican ticket, Mayor of Conneaut in 1875 and served one term of two years, declining a second term.  In 1890, he was again elected to this office, and in 1892, was re-elected by an overwhelming majority.  His present term will expire in April, 1894.  From a leading publication we clip the following:  "The municipal government, with S. J. Smith, Esq., as Mayor, is characterized for prompt, thorough and conservative legislation, while the general status of the city is excellent.  Real estate is held at reasonable prices, there are countless attractive sites obtainable and the citizens have already evinced their willingness to entertain and substantially encourage any legitimate manufacture that may bring liberal increase to the local population."  Within his administration the water works and sewerage system of Conneaut were constructed.

Mr. Smith(1) was married December 7, 1859 to Miss Alitcia Lake, daughter of Hiram(3)(4) and Lois (Gifford) Lake of Conneaut.  She died May 28, 1889, aged fifty-three years, leaving two children, namely:  Hiram L., who has succeeded his father in the merchandise business in Conneaut; and Lois, wife of E. T. Dorman, also of Conneaut.  Mrs. Smith was a member of the Congregational Church for many years.  Mr. Smith's second marriage occurred December 7, 1891, the lady of his choice being Mrs. Daphne (Jones) Loomis, daughter of Mrs. Hiram Lake(2) by her former marriage of Solomon Jones, a well-known and highly esteemed citizen of Conneaut.  Mr. Smith has adopted his niece, Elsie, who is the daughter of his sister Amelia, who is deceased, as is also her husband, Nathan Guthrie.

Mr. Smith built his residence, corner of Main and Mill streets, in 1865, the timber for which he hauled from his father's farm, twenty-five miles south of here, helping to cut down the trees himself.  In 1868 he built the Lake & Smith Block, corner of Main and Harbor streets.  At this writing he is building a three-story block, which will be arranged for banking and store rooms below and offices above, the building to be fitted with elevator and all modern conveniences.

Mr. Smith and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of which he has been a Trustee for a number of years.  He was a member of the building committee of his church in Conneaut, the other three members of the committee being G. J. Record, M. D. Townsend and Hiram Judson.  This committee cleared over $1,700 in one day in running an excursion to Niagara Falls, July 4, 1876, which sum was paid over to the building fund.  In politics Mr. Smith is a Republican, and is an earnest temperance worker.  He has traveled extensively and is well informed on the general topics of the day.  After the death of his first wife he took a trip across the continent.  In 1892 he and his wife made an extended tour through Mexico and Southern California.  He was a delegate for the Nineteenth District of Ohio to the Republican National Convention at Minneapolis, which nominated Harrison for President.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893 with notes added by Sharon Wick)

(1) Sagito J. & Alicia L. Smith, along with their children Hiram L. & Lois A. can be found in the 1880 Census of Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Ohio on Page 473.
(2) Hiram Lake and his wife is also found on Page 473 of 1800 Census of Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Ohio.
(3) Hiram Lake and his wife, Louis (Lois) is found in 1860 Census on June 19th, 1860 - Borough of Conneaut, O. - Page 231b - Dwelling 524 Family 527.
(4) Hiram Lake and his wife, Lois are buried in City Cemetery, Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., OH
(See 1870 Census Conneaut, Ohio)
(5) Sagito J. Smith in 1880 Census, Conneaut Village, Ashtabula Co., Ohio pg. 381b




This page was created by Sharon Wick 2003